Office Hours: By appointment
Courses Currently Teaching:
- COM 3300 Mass Media & Society
- COM 3341 Communication Ethics
Teaching and Research Specialities
- Media & Technology Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Critical Theory
- Davis, Andrew. “Failure Is Always an Option: The Necessity, Promise & Peril of Radical Contextualism.” Cultural Studies 33.1 (2019): 46-56.
- Kim, Sei-Hill, John P. Carvalho, Andrew G. Davis, and Amanda M. Mullins. “The View at the Border: News Framing of the Definition, Causes, and Solutions to the Illegal Immigration Problem.” Mass Communication and Society 14.3 (2011): 292-314.
- Kim, Sei-Hill, John P. Carvalho, and Andrew G. Davis. “Talking About Poverty: News Framing of Who Is Responsible for Causing and Fixing the Problem.” Journalism and Mass Communication Quarterly 87.3/4 (2010): 563-81.
- Davis, Andrew. “Teaching Conjuncturally: Cultural Studies as the Practice of Conjunctural Analysis.” Cultural Studies in the Classroom & Beyond: Critical Pedagogies & Classroom Strategies. Eds. Jaafar Aksikas, Sean Johnson Andrews, and Donald Hedrick. Cham, Switzerland: Palgrave Macmillan, 2019. 259-278.
- Davis, Andrew. “Dap-Dippin’ Independent Tradition: The Rebirth of Rhythm and Blues.” Please Allow Me to Introduce Myself: Essays on Debut Albums. Ed. George Plasketes. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2013. 179-88.
- Davis, Andrew. “From Junk to Jesus: Recontextualizing ‘The Pusher’.” Play It Again: Cover Songs in Popular Music. Ed. George Plasketes. Aldershot, UK: Ashgate, 2010. 111-26.
- Davis, Andrew. “Neoliberalism from Below: Popular Pragmatics and Baroque Economies, by Verónica Gago.” Journal of Cultural Economy 11.2 (2018): 172-5.
- Stump, Jessica. “Don’t Be an April Fool for ‘Fake News’: Appalachian Communication Professor Dr. Andrew Davis Shares Tips on How to Discern Fact from Fiction in a World of Increasing Misinformation.” Appalachian Today. April 2, 2019. https://today.appstate.edu/2019/04/02/fake-news.
- NC Television, Inc. Award
- Ph.D., Communication Studies, University of North Carolina - Chapel Hill
- M.A., Communication, Auburn University
- B.A., English, University of Georgia
Title: Assistant Professor
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7760