Office Hours: Monday & Wednesday 8am-12pm, 1pm-3pm; Tuesday & Thursday 7am-8am, 11am-12pm, 1pm-3pm; Fridays by appointment
Ph.D. University of Maryland (1987)
M.A. University of Georgia (1982)
B.A. University of South Florida (1973)
- Interpersonal Communication areas
- Public Address areas
- Intercultural Communication areas
- Organizational Communication areas
- Gender Communication areas
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association
- Carolinas Speech Communication Association
- Pi Kappa Delta Forensics Honorary (Forensics Honorary)
- Phi Beta Delta Honorary (International Scholars Honorary)
Nonverbal Communication; Intercultural communication; gender communication; interpersonal communication; historical/critical analyses of rhetorical acts; acquisition of logical reasoning skills; teacher clarity training and the effects of that training; application of public argumentation theories to interpersonal settings; listening assessment; critical thinking skills; self perception of oral communication capabilities; teachers’ self-perceptions of instructional abilities; gender communication issues as they apply to areas of reasoning, organizations, health care settings, and education; communication differences between diverse age groups, in particular the senior generation; communication skills needed for caregivers of Alzheimer’s patients as well as those who suffer from other forms of dementia.
Nonverbal communication: Studies and applications. (First Author) Co-authored with Mark L. Hickson, III, and Don W. Stacks. New York: Oxford University Press. 2010
“Pedagogy and process: Linking two diversity and communication courses through interactive television.” Co-authored with Deborah Brunson, UNC- Wilmington. Published in: Collaborative endeavors with interactive technologies: A communication perspective. Patricia Comeaux, Editor. Westport, CT: Greenwood Press, 2002.
Cursillo Speakers Workshop: Participants Manual, Vienna, VA: National Episcopal Cursillo Movement, 1997.
“Personal Contact: Techniques and Practices” in National Episcopal Cursillo Library, Vienna, VA: National Episcopal Cursillo Movement, 2007.
- Nonverbal Communication (Fall 2010)
- Communication Theory (Fall 2010)
- Intercultural Communication (Spring 2011)
- Public Speaking (Spring 2011)
- Interpersonal Communication (Spring 2011)
- Also Teach: Foundations of Human Communication, Gender Communication, Interviewing Techniques, Persuasion, Argumentation/Debate, Small Group Communication, Organizational Communication
- Led several trips abroad, particularly to Poland and Eastern Europe.
Title: Professor, Communication Studies
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2171