Contact and Overview
Monday-Saturday: 8:00 a.m.-8:00 p.m. (By appointment via Zoom or phone)
Ph.D., Bowling Green State University
MDiv/CE, Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
B.A., Maryville College
Currently Teaching (Spring 2023)
COM 3152 (App State Online) Communication In Organization
COM 3341 (App State Online) Communication Ethics
COM 1200 Thinking Through Communication
COM 2101 Public Speaking
COM 3110 Small Group Communication
COM 3152 Communication in Organizations
COM 3155 Persuasion
COM 3305 Communication Law
COM 3341 Communication Ethics
COM 3547 Managerial Communication
COM 4152 Advanced Organizational Communication
COM 4511 Senior Honors Thesis
COM 5152 Advanced Organizational Communication
COM 5311 Communication in Conflict Management
COM 5540 Economics of Communication in the Information Age
BE 3340 Business Communication
MBA 5720 International Seminar
Communication & Conflict
Communication & Critical Thought
Communication in customer service issues
Freedom of Expression
Professional Affiliations or Organizations
Academy of Management
National Communication Association
Southern States Communication Association
Carolinas Communication Association
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles
- Brewer, E. C. and Egan, C. (2021) Clear and Present Danger Standard 100th Anniversary: Examining Donald J. Trump’s “Presidential” Rhetoric as a Clear and Present Danger, First Amendment Studies, 55(1), 44-58, https://doi.org/10.1080/21689725.2021.1886967.
- Holmes, Terence L., and Brewer, Edward C. (2020) "Customer Service Challenges in Omni-Channel Retailing—An Exploratory Study of Vague Language in Retailer Customer Service Policies," Atlantic Marketing Journal: Vol. 9: No. 1, Article 6. Available at: https://digitalcommons.kennesaw.edu/amj/vol9/iss1/6
- Brewer, E. C., and Holmes, T. L. (2016) Better Communication = Better Teams: A Communication Exercise to Improve Team Performance. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 59(3), 288-298.
- Brewer, P. E., and Brewer, E. C. (2015) Pedagogical perspectives for the online and blended education skeptic. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 26(1), 29-52.
- Brewer, E. C. (December 2011). Learning by Design (Project-Based Learning: Building the Skills for Career Success), Dyrektor Szkoly, 12-17 (a Polish journal).
- Brewer, E. C., and Taylor, K. (April 2011). Managing Collaboration in the Thirty Years War: Culture, Politics and the Influence of Donald Wildmon. Journal of Religion and Popular Culture 23(1), doi:10.3138/jrpc.23.1.1
- Brewer, E. C., and Holmes, T. L. (2009). Obfuscating the Obvious: Miscommunication Issues in the Interpretation of Common Terms. Journal of Business Communication 46, 480-496.
- Ausenbaugh, M. W., Gesler, D., and Brewer, E. C. (2008). The Effects of Sex and Education Level on Trust, Respect, and Empowerment in the Workplace. Kentucky Journal of Communication 27(1), 1-11.
- Brewer, E. C. (2007). Creating Organizational Meaning: Seeking Return to Native Leadership at a Native American Ministry Organization. Ohio Communication Journal, 45, 13-40.
- Holmes, T.L., and Brewer E.C. (May 2006). An Experiential Classroom Exercise to Improve Communication Effectiveness. The Archive of Marketing Education. Available at http://www.Marketingpower.com in the academic section.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). Extroversion/Introversion Communication Patterns: A Determinant of Success in Business. Business Quest. Available at http://www.westga.edu/~bquest/.
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). Patriotism or Patronizing Protective Surveillance? Big Brother and the USA PATRIOT Act. Iowa Journal of Communication, 35(1), 67-84.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). The Value of NEDA for On-Campus Debate Programs. The Journal of Public Advocacy, 73-75.
- Brewer, E. C. (1998). The Agon(y) of Burke. Peer-reviewed conference paper that is published in the Burke Conference Paper Repository at http://www.sla.purdue.edu/people/engl/dblakesley/burke/brewer.html
- Brewer, E. C. (1997). Censorship and the Cultural Battle Over Morality and Free Expression in the Rhetoric of the American Family Association. The Free Speech Yearbook 3, 80-91.
Books, Book Chapters, and Case Studies
- Brewer, E. C., and Holmes, T. L. (2021). Better Customer Service: Simple Rules You Can Apply Today. New York: Routledge.
- Brewer, E. C. (2019). Religious Rhetoric: Dividing a Nation or Creating Community. Lanham Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Brewer, E. C., and Westerman, J. W. (2018) Organizational Communication: Today’s Professional Life in Context, New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Brewer, E. C., and Holmes, T. L. (2015). Success Strategy: Communication with Common Language. In Brewer, P. E. International Virtual Teams: Engineering Global Success, 25-26. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press Wiley.
- Brewer, E. C. (2013). Managing the Ethical Implications of the Big Box: The Walmart Effect. In May, S. (Ed.) Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 59-72.
- Brewer, E. C. (2012). The Introvert's Guide to Greater Success at Work and Home. Columbus, Ohio: Zip Publishing/The Educational Publisher.
- Brewer, E. C., and Holmes, T. L. (2010). The Loan: A Case on Communication. In Berman, B., and Evans, J. R. Great Ideas in Retailing, 10th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall (also in 2006 edition, pp. 68-70).
- Brewer, E. C. (2009). The Wal-Mart Way. In Gini, A., and Marcoux, A. M., Case Studies in Business Ethics, 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, pp. 159-168.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). The Wal-Mart Way: Community Service or Sneaky Exploitation? In May, S. (Ed.). Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 59-74.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). The Delicate Art of Persuasion. In R. M. Bokeno et al., A Manner of Speaking: Successful Presentations for Work and Life, 2nd edition, (pp. 166-193). Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company. (The chapter also appeared on pp. 190-213 of the 2004 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. & Lidzy, S. L. (2006). Preparing Speeches for Everyday Life. In R. M. Bokeno et al., A Manner of Speaking: Successful Presentations for Work and Life, 2nd edition, (pp. 194-209). Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company. (The chapter also appeared on pp. 214-229 of the 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). Where Do We Go From Here? In J. Keyton & P. Shockley-Zalabak (Eds.), Case Studies for Organizational Communication 2nd edition (pp. 110-117). Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury. (The case also appeared on pp. 102-109 of the 2004 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). Hustler Magazine Inc., v. Falwell. In R. A. Parker (Ed.), Free Speech on Trial: Communication Perspectives on Landmark Supreme Court Decisions, (pp. 264-280). Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press.
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). In Search of a Truly Democratic Media. [Review of the book The Myth of the Liberal Media: An Edward Herman Reader]. Review of Communication, 3.1.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). [Review of the book Censorship: Opposing Viewpoints]. The Free Speech Yearbook, 37.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). [Review of the book Freedom of Expression in the 21st Century]. The Free Speech Yearbook, 37.
- Nominated for 2021 Outstanding Teacher, College of Fine and Applied Arts at Appalachian State University
- Nominated for 2020 Outstanding Teacher, College of Fine and Applied Arts at Appalachian State University
- Nominated for 2019 Outstanding Teacher, College of Fine and Applied Arts at Appalachian State University
- Named as a (student nominated) Faculty “most helpful in my success,” 2015-2016
- Lambda Pi Eta recipient of Faculty Excellence in Mentoring award, 2011-2012
- Invited to teach for two weeks in the Business Department at Ching Yun University (Now Chien Hsin University of Science and Technology), December 2009
Title: Professor, Communication Studies
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2405