Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Hours: 8am-8pm Monday-Saturday by appointment (virtually, by phone, or in-person)
Courses Currently Teaching: COM 5152 Advanced Organizational Communication, COM 5311 Communication and Conflict Management, COM 3305 Communication Law,
- Ph.D. Bowling Green State University
- MDiv/CE Southern Baptist Theological Seminary
- B.A. Maryville College
- Organizational Communication
- Communication & Conflict
- Communication & Critical Thought
- Communication Ethics
- Interpersonal Communication
- Public Speaking
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- Academy of Management
- National Communication Association
- Southern States Communication Association
- Carolinas Communication Association
My research interests include the relationship of personality to effective communication, time and probability issues in organizational and interpersonal communication, organizational culture, and free speech issues.
Peer-Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Brewer, E. C. and Holmes, T. L. (2016) Better Communication = Better Teams: A Communication Exercise to Improve Team Performance. IEEE Transactions on Professional Communication, 59(3), 288-298.
- Brewer, P. E. and Brewer, E. C. (2015) Pedagogical perspectives for the online and blended education skeptic. Journal on Excellence in College Teaching, 26(1), 29-52.
- Brewer, E. C. (December 2011). Learning by Design (Project-Based Learning: Building the Skills for Career Success), Dyrektor Szkoly, 12-17 (a Polish journal).
- Brewer, E. C. and Taylor, K. (April, 2011). Managing Collaboration in the Thirty Years War: Culture, Politics and the Influence of Donald Wildmon. Journal of Religion and Popular Culture 23(1), doi:10.3138/jrpc.23.1.1
- Brewer, E. C. and Holmes, T. L. (2009). Obfuscating the Obvious: Miscommunication Issues in the Interpretation of Common Terms. Journal of Business Communication 46, 480-496.
- Ausenbaugh, M. W., Gesler, D., and Brewer, E. C. (2008). The Effects of Sex and Education Level on Trust, Respect, and Empowerment in the Workplace. Kentucky Journal of Communiction 27(1), 1-11.
- Brewer, E. C. (2007). Creating Organizational Meaning: Seeking Return to Native Leadership at a Native American Ministry Organization. Ohio Communication Journal, 45, 13-40.
- Holmes, T.L., and Brewer E.C. (May 2006). An Experiential Classroom Exercise to Improve Communication Effectiveness. The Archive of Marketing Education. Available at http://www.Marketingpower.com in the academic section.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). Extroversion/Introversion Communication Patterns: A Determinant of Success in Business. Business Quest. Available at http://www.westga.edu/~bquest/.
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). Patriotism or Patronizing Protective Surveillance? Big Brother and the USA PATRIOT Act. Iowa Journal of Communication, 35(1), 67-84.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). The Value of NEDA for On-Campus Debate Programs. The Journal of Public Advocacy, 73-75.
- Brewer, E. C. (1998). The Agon(y) of Burke. Peer-reviewed conference paper that is published on the Burke Conference Paper Repository at http://www.sla.purdue.edu/people/engl/dblakesley/burke/brewer.html
- Brewer, E. C. (1997). Censorship and the Cultural Battle Over Morality and Free Expression in the Rhetoric of the American Family Association. The Free Speech Yearbook 3, 80-91.
Books, Book Chapters and Case Studies:
- Brewer, E. C. (2019). Religious Rhetoric: Dividing a Nation or Creating Community. Lanham Maryland: Lexington Books.
- Brewer, E. C. and Westerman, J. W. (2018) Organizational Communication: Today’s Professional Life in Context, New York, NY: Oxford University Press.
- Brewer, E. C. and Holmes, T. L. (2015). Success Strategy: Communication with Common Language. In Brewer, P. E. International Virtual Teams: Engineering Global Success, 25-26. Piscataway, NJ: IEEE Press Wiley.
- Brewer, E. C. (2013). Managing the Ethical Implications of the Big Box: The Walmart Effect. In May, S. (Ed.) Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices, 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 59-72.
- Brewer, E. C. (2012). The Introvert's Guide to Greater Success at Work and Home. Columbus, Ohio: Zip Publishing/The Educational Publisher.
- Brewer, E. C. and Holmes, T. L. (2010). The Loan: A Case on Communication. In Berman, B. and Evans, J. R. Great Ideas in Retailing, 10th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall (also in 2006 edition, pp. 68-70).
- Brewer, E. C. (2009). The Wal-Mart Way. In Gini, A. and Marcoux, A. M., Case Studies in Business Ethics, 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ: Prentice Hall, pp. 159-168.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). The Wal-Mart Way: Community Service or Sneaky Exploitation? In May, S. (Ed.). Case Studies in Organizational Communication: Ethical Perspectives and Practices. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage, pp. 59-74.
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). The Delicate Art of Persuasion. In R. M. Bokeno et al., A Manner of Speaking: Successful Presentations for Work and Life, 2nd edition, (pp. 166-193). Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company. (The chapter also appeared on pp. 190-213 of the 2004 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. & Lidzy, S. L. (2006). Preparing Speeches for Everyday Life. In R. M. Bokeno et al., A Manner of Speaking: Successful Presentations for Work and Life, 2nd edition, (pp. 194-209). Dubuque, IA: Kendall/Hunt Publishing Company. (The chapter also appeared on pp. 214-229 of the 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. (2006). Where Do We Go From Here? In J. Keyton & P. Shockley-Zalabak (Eds.), Case Studies for Organizational Communication 2nd edition (pp. 110-117). Los Angeles, CA: Roxbury. (The case also appeared on pp. 102-109 of the 2004 1st edition.)
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). Hustler Magazine Inc., v. Falwell. In R. A. Parker (Ed.), Free Speech on Trial: Communication Perspectives on Landmark Supreme Court Decisions, (pp. 264-280). Tuscaloosa, AL: The University of Alabama Press.
- Brewer, E. C. (2003). In Search of a Truly Democratic Media. [Review of the book The Myth of the Liberal Media: An Edward Herman Reader]. Review of Communication, 3.1.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). [Review of the book Censorship: Opposing Viewpoints]. The Free Speech Yearbook, 37.
- Brewer, E. C. (1999). [Review of the book Freedom of Expression in the 21st Century]. The Free Speech Yearbook, 37.
- Nominated for 2019 Outstanding Teacher, College of Fine and Applied Arts at Appalachian State University
- Named as a (student nominated) Faculty “most helpful in my success,” 2015-2016
- Lambda Pi Eta recipient of Faculty Excellence in Mentoring award, 2011-2012
- Invited to teach for two weeks in the Business Department at Ching Yun University (Now Chien Hsin University of Science and Technology) December 2009
Title: Professor, Communication Studies
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2405