Office Hours: Tuesdays and Thursdays, 1:00pm-3:15pm, and by appointment
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, M.A., Ph.D.
- St. Lawrence University, B.A.
Professional Affiliations or Organizations:
- Treasurer, American Journalism Historians Association
- Corresponding Editor, Journalism History
- Member, Association for Education in Journalism & Mass Communication
- Member, International Communication Association
- Member, American Society of Journalists & Authors.
- Member, ACES, The Society for Editing
- Member, Investigative Reporters & Editors
- Member, American Historical Association
- “Trust but Verify: Myths and Misinformation in the History of Women War Correspondents,” American Journalism, 36, 2, Spring 2019.
- "The Woman War Correspondent, the U.S. Military, and the Press: 1846-1947." Lanham, Maryland: Lexington Books, 2017.
- "Women's Magazine Coverage of Heart Disease Risk Factors: Good Housekeeping Magazine, 1997 to 2007." Women & Health 50, 2, 2010.
- "Juggernaut in Kid Gloves: Inez Callaway Robb, 1900-1979." American Journalism 27, 4, Fall 2010.
- "Getting the Story: A Study of the State of Literary Journalism in the American Academy," in Literary Journalism: The Newsletter of the International Association for Literary Journalism Studies 3, 4, Fall 2009.
- Review of Global Journalism Research: Theories, Methods, Future, M. Löffelholz and D. Weaver. (Blackwell Publishing, 2008.) In Global Media Journal 7, 13, Fall 2008.
- "Christiane Amanpour," "Wangari Maathai," "Helen Thomas," and "Katrina vanden Heuvel." In The Multimedia Encyclopedia of Women in Today's World. Ed. Mary Zeiss Stange, Carol K. Oyster, & Geoffrey J. Golson. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications, 2011.
Honorable Mention, Best Media History Book of 2017, American Journalism Historians Association.
- Faculty Staff Appreciation Award 2015-2016, Outstanding Professor, College of Fine & Applied Arts, Appalachian State University.
- Margaret A. Blanchard Doctoral Dissertation Prize, Honorable Mention, AJHA.
- Mary Gardner Award for Graduate Student Research, AEJMC.
- Schlesinger Library Dissertation Grant, Harvard University.
- Joseph L. Morrison Award for Excellence in Journalism History, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- Minnie S. and Eli A. Rubinstein Research Award, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- Top Student Paper, History Division, AEJMC Annual Convention.
- Roy H. Park Doctoral Fellowship, UNC–Chapel Hill.
- COM 2600 Introduction to Journalism
- COM 2610 News Reporting & Writing
- COM 3124 Intercultural Communication
- COM 3130 Minorities in Media
- COM 3210 Copy Editing
- COM 3549 In-Depth Reporting in France
- COM 3600 Feature Writing
- COM 3680 Literary Journalism
Title: Associate Professor, Journalism
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-7759