9:00am-5:00pm EST (virtual)
Teaching and Research Specialties:
- Strategic communication
- Writing for Public Relations
- Introduction to Public Relations
- Training and consulting
- Public Speaking
- Interpersonal Communication
- Intercultural Communication
- English as a Second Language
- Casey D. (2010) Pitching on your feet: Using a mock press conference as a teaching tool. A poster presented to the Educators Academy of the Public Relations Society of America, Washington, D.C. November, 2010.
- Casey D., Aguilar A., Miranda S., and Zehner J. (2009) The public relations portfolio: a
- new spin for job search and job preservation. A poster presented to the Educators Academy of the Public Relations Society of America, San Diego, California. November, 2009.
- Casey, D. (2008). A journey to legitimacy: The historical development of distance education through technology. Tech Trends, 52(2), 45-51.
- Casey, D. (2008). Enrollment management and distance learning. (Under review) Enrollment Management Review.
- Abdulla, R., Garrison, B., Salwen, M., Driscoll, P., & Casey, D. (2005). Online news credibility. In M. Salwen, B. Garrison, & P. Driscoll (Eds.), Online News and the Public. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Casey, D. (2003). From the ivory tower to the corporate trenches: The changing needs of doctoral education in communication. A paper presented to the Educational Division of the National Communication Association, Miami, Florida. November, 2003.Casey, D. & Arroyoave, J. (2003, April). Distance learning and non-verbal communication: A review of literature and suggestions for future research. A paper presented at the Eastern Communication Association Conference, Non-verbal division, Washington, D.C.
- Salwen, M., Driscoll, P., Garrison, B., Abdulla, R., Campbell, K., & Casey, D. (2005). Third person perceptions of fear during the war on terrorism: Perceptions of online users. In M. Salwen, B. Garrison, & P. Driscoll (Eds.), Online News and the Public. Mahwah, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates.
- Casey, D. & Garrison, B. (2002). Doctoral Education Programs in Communication in the United States: A survey of opinions, attitudes from communication professionals, and recommendations for future programs. A paper submitted to the National Communication Association, Association for Communication Administration, New Orleans. Awarded Top three division paper.
- Abdulla, R., Garrsion, G., Salwen, M., Driscoll, P. & Casey, D. The credibility of newspapers, television news, and online news. A paper submitted to the annual conference of the Association for Education on Journalism and Mass Communication, Mass Communication and Society Division, Miami Beach, Florida August, 2002.
- Driscoll, P., Salwen, M., & Casey, D. (2002, August) The perceived influence of negative political advertising in the 2000 Presidential Elections: The third person effect on others by race and ethnicity. A paper submitted to the annual conference of the Broadcast Education Association, Research Division, Las Vegas. Awarded Second Place.
- Stacks, D., Pavlow, S.,Campbell, K. & Casey, D. When Theory Fails: A Look at Crisis Communication, Trust, and Apologia in an Academic Setting. Presented to the Public Relations Society of America's Educators Academy International, Interdisciplinary Public Relations Research Conference, Miami, Florida, March 8, 2002.
- Campbell, K., Carroll, T., Casey, D. (April, 2002). Client-Consultant Relationship: Make it or Break it in the community. A workshop short course presented at the Eastern Communication Association, New York.
- Represented The International Women’s League of Peace and Freedom- Seoul Korea, 2017
- Completed the Camino Santiago de Compestelo Pilgrimage (502 miles) 2016
- Nomination- Advisor of the Year- Appalachian State University- College of Arts and
Letters Spring, 2011
- Nomination- Mentoring Award- Appalachian State University- Lambda Pi Eta
- Honorary Member - Iota Rho Communication Honor Society, Spring 2005.
- Recipient- Second Place Award – Open category 2003 Broadcast Education Association- Research Division- Annual Research Paper Competition.
- Recipient -First Place Award for the Graduate Student Research and Creativity Forum, University of Miami, Florida. March 2002. Research title- Doing Business with Brazil: Linguistic politeness from a cross-cultural perspective.
- Recipient- Outstanding Graduate Student Award - School of Communication, University of Miami, 2002.
- Recipient -Leadership Scholarship National University 1998.
- Recipient -Mercury Award- Class Sales Leader- American Express -IDS Financial Services 1985.
- Recognition for Excellent Teaching by a Graduate Student- The Instructional and Educational Division-International Communication Association 1984 (Professional Association).
- Dean’s Honor List- San Diego State University, 1982.
- Dean’s Honor List- Grossmont College, 1980.
- Ph.D. University of Miami, School of Communication (May, 2004).
Dissertation - The impact of distance learning on interpersonal communication satisfaction: A comparison of online and face-to-face community college classrooms.
- M.A. San Diego State University, San Diego, California (1984)
Speech Communication - Emphasis: Organizational Communication, Classical Rhetorical Theory, Semantics.
- B.A. San Diego State University, San Diego, California (1982) Cum Laude with Distinction in Speech Communication.
A.A. Grossmont College, El Cajon, California (1980) (Honors).
- English Single Subject Supplemental Credential, 1997
- CLAD Multiple Subject Teaching Elementary Education, 1997
- English as a Second Language Certificate (E.S.L.), 1989
- Lifetime Teaching Credential California Community Colleges
- Advanced Leadership Training II, Newport Beach, California, 1986
- Instructional Technology Certificate Program, including Instructional Technology. Instructional Design, Computers in Education, 1985
- Leadership Training I--IDS Financial Services, Palm Springs, California, 1985
- Trainer Training Workshop, Pasadena, California, 1985
- Reiki Master, Spokane, Washington, 2004
- Academic assessment and planning certificate- USD, 2006
- Life Agent –State of California, 2007
Department: Department of Communication
Email address: Email me
Phone: (828) 262-2221